GeoIP database issues and the real world consequences

Christian de Larrinaga cdel at firsthand.net
Wed Apr 13 09:50:38 UTC 2016

Really? - You want RIRs to now perpetuate an application of IPs they are
not designed for?

The activities of MaxMind and similar need to be exposed so people
understand the problem. No matter how Geo IP businesses might back
peddle and say they never intended their services to be considered as
authoritative etc the fact is people including law enforcement and
presumably General Hayden and friends are buying into the fallacy that
IP addresses are fit for the purpose of geo location.

Let's put this another way.

How many LIRs accounting systems use IPs as billing / account
identifiers? No? I wonder why not.....

Todd Crane <mailto:todd.crane at n5tech.com>

--
Christian de Larrinaga  FBCS, CITP,