mpls switches

Simon Lockhart simon at slimey.org
Wed Apr 13 06:22:48 UTC 2016

On Tue Apr 12, 2016 at 07:29:54PM -0500, Colton Conor wrote:
> Someone told me to check out extreme networks, cisco or Ciena for the more
> cost effective mpls kit. Any advice on which of the three would have the
> most cost effective 10G MPLS switch?

I'm using Extreme switches for VPLS - the X460 will give you up to 6 x 10G
ports, and the X670 will give you 48 x 10G ports (and 4 x 40G ports). I've
not tried them as P nodes (we use Cisco for that), or for any other MPLS
features (L3VPN), but for VPLS they're working well for us. When we started
using them, they were significantly cheaper than Cisco alternatives.

Simon