Why the US Government has so many data centers

Scott Weeks surfer at mauigateway.com
Tue Apr 12 21:19:45 UTC 2016

--- sean at donelan.com wrote:
From: Sean Donelan <sean at donelan.com>

https://fcw.com/articles/2016/04/11/lyngaas-halvorsen-update.aspx

Wow, this is big news in that article for the companies that
deal with selling network devices and computers to the DoD:

(Defense Department CIO is Terry Halvorsen)

"Halvorsen also briefed reporters on updates to the department's
cybersecurity scorecard and its certification process.

He said he expects to announce revisions in the coming weeks to
DOD's accreditation and certification process for commercial IT
products and services.

"I think we have reached a point where we no longer can do
specific hardware or software accreditation," he said, meaning a
piecemeal approach won't keep up with continual updates to, say,
cloud offerings.

"Our process wouldn't sustain that," he said of certifying cloud
offerings that are always being updated. "We need to look at how
we do certification and accreditation by process and at some point
maybe even by vendor.""

scott