GeoIP database issues and the real world consequences

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Mon Apr 11 19:10:44 UTC 2016

On Mon, 11 Apr 2016, Laszlo Hanyecz wrote:
> I imagine some consumers of the data will 'correct' the position to fall on
> the nearest road in front of the nearest house.

If GeoIP insists on giving a specific lon/lat, instead of an uncertaintity
how about using locations such as the followign as the "default I don't
know where it is"

United States: 38.8899 N, 77.0091 W (U.S. Capital Building)
Missouri: 38.5792 N, 92.1729 W (Missouri State Capital Building)

After the legislators get tired of the police raiding the capital
buildings, they will probably do something to fix it.