Someone Please Help Me Understand

Eric Rogers ecrogers at precisionds.com
Mon Apr 4 12:46:41 UTC 2016

Thanks Faisal,

I appreciate the time you took and the detail you have placed.  I did try prepending our HE connection thinking it was an issue via HE, and we started going out Level3, and it also went to Dallas with nearly the same packet loss.  I don't know what the return path is/was, but through another provider, it also showed major packet loss.  That leads me to believe that FB is/was having issues in Dallas.  Maybe on their peering port?  I have since found out they don't peer through the route servers, but only directly through the exchanges (direct peering relationship).  I have since submitted a peering request to FB and also submitted a request to their NOC to look at the packet loss and why we are getting Dallas IPs.  I have not received a response to either.

 I can use the community strings to manipulate our announcement of our routes, but won't DNS tell the browser what IP to ultimately get the data?

I am not trying to publically shame or air dirty laundry, I am just trying to understand the situation more.  CDNs bring a whole new level I have yet to comprehend with multicast DNS and GeoIP responses...

Eric Rogers
PDS Connect
www.pdsconnect.me
(317) 831-3000 x200