Someone Please Help Me Understand

Jean-Francois Mezei jfmezei_nanog at vaxination.ca
Sat Apr 2 21:03:56 UTC 2016

On 2016-04-02 13:54, Eric Rogers wrote:

> providers HE.Net in Columbus OH being one.  We also are peered with 2
> peering exchanges, including EquinixIX in Chicago.  The problem is
> Instagram and Facebook (same company, I know) for our customers seems
> very slow.

Facebook does not open peer.
https://www.facebook.com/peering/
https://www.peeringdb.com/asn/32934

So you need to get in touch with them to peer with them, assuming you
meet their standard (50mbps of exchanges between you and them). So you
need to establish a peering relationship before you can use it.

And even if you peer, there is no garantee you get your "big" data from
the nearest. You may get the HTML from the nearest but their "logic" may
decide that your images or videos will be served from some other site
because of how the decide this (database of DNS servers etc). (when they
generate the html for your customers, they would include URLs that point
to distant servers at which point no amount of peering will change that.
You need to find out why the content provider's logic doesn't feed your
customers URLs to the nearest CDN.