Capacity planning , transit vs last mile

Baldur Norddahl baldur.norddahl at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 08:07:00 UTC 2016

Hi

40 Mbps is plenty fast that even a family will not be using much more data
with higher speed. So that transit argument is a poor excuse.

A formula could be:

 [max speed sold to customers] * 2 + [number of customers] * [average peak
number]

The number 2 in the above is not well researched but I would expect it to
be in that ballpark.

The [average peak number] is 2 Mbps for our network. Others seem to claim
they get away with only 1 Mbps, but our users are doing 2 Mbps for sure. I
believe this is probably because we have many families. It does matter when
each customer is really a family of 5 compared to one single person.

The formula holds up for both few and large number of users. With few users
the left side of the formula dominates and with many users it is the right
side.

Regards,

Baldur