How to force rapid ipv6 adoption

Baldur Norddahl baldur.norddahl at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 21:34:34 UTC 2015

On 30 September 2015 at 21:41, McElearney, Kevin <
Kevin_McElearney at cable.comcast.com> wrote:

> This only helps 1/3 of the challenge.  Even with most Comcast customers
> able to obtain IPv6 today and over 70% provisioned with IPv6, less than
> 20% of the traffic is IPv6.  There is still a need to address home device
> support and content provider adoption.

We will never get there 100%. There are many sites out there running 100%
on autopilot. They will stay IPv4 forever until the server crashes and
never comes back online.

The same will be true for many homes. People who don't want to change
anything. They will keep Windows XP and whatever antique device they use to
connect to the internet until the thing catches fire from the accumulated
dust. And then they will go on ebay to buy a replacement exactly the same.

Remember that people with Windows XP with their ancient version of Internet
Explorer already can not access many sites. They don't care.

I believe the real goal is to get to a point, where people will accept the
more invasive transition technologies such as NAT64, because everything
they care about is IPv6 enabled.

At some point people will start making IPv6 only sites, because everyone
they know have IPv6 access. At that point the internet will split into two
- the people that have access to the whole thing (IPv6+IPv4) and the
IPv4-only people. Yet a lot of those IPv4-only people will stay IPv4-only
even though they know they are missing out on something. Because Gmail and
Facebook will always be available on IPv4 and that is all they care about.

Regards,

Baldur