SNMP - monitoring large number of devices

Scott Helms khelms at zcorum.com
Tue Sep 29 20:26:06 UTC 2015

Pavel,

AFAIK there are no frameworks that solve, or even come close to solving,
this problem.  The first thing to learn is how to do asynchronous SNMP
calls that will let you send out requests without having to wait for the
response.  How you do those will vary by the language that you're using.
Next, figure out to scale the processing and persisting of the returns and
try and learn (without causing an impact) how many simultaneous SNMP
requests your CMTSs will deal with while at the same time handling their
normal load from customer traffic.  BULKGETS are very handy, but they will
also cause problems because some platforms limit the max size of the SNMP
return.

>From my experience building your server side programming to do 50,000
modems in <5 minutes is very doable, but unless your dealing with more than
10 CMTSs you probably can't do it in production without impacting
performance.  Cisco 10Ks still have absolute caps on the amount of SNMP
they will allow and other manufacturers and models do different things that
limit what you can do.

Scott Helms
Vice President of Technology
ZCorum