Question re session hijacking in dual stack environments w/MacOS

John Schimmel johns at a10networks.com
Sun Sep 27 12:24:17 UTC 2015

I can¹t speak to every case, but I ran into a similar issue with our WAF
product, so I can explain what was happening there.

Most Web application firewalls have cross-site request forgery protection.
When a form is downloaded, the firewall inserts a hidden field or cookie
that contains the IP address of the request.  When the form is submitted,
the firewall then verifies that the post is sent from the same address.  If
the client does a get via IPv6, and the form contains a form action for a
URL that is better reached via IPv4 then the firewall sees the post coming
from a different IP address and refuses the request.

This is nothing specifically to do with MacOS, it is true of any multi-homed
system.  The options are either to rewrite the client to guarantee that the
address in a post always matches the corresponding get; to maintain
different URLs on the server such that requests from IPv6 clients always
return action URLs that will go to an IPv6 hostname, and vice-versa for
IPv4; or to disable CSRF protection.

Later,
John