ARIN Region IPv4 Free Pool Reaches Zero

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Sep 25 06:55:21 UTC 2015

> On Sep 24, 2015, at 15:57 , Joe Greco <jgreco at ns.sol.net> wrote:
>
>> According to http://business.comcast.com/internet/business-internet/static-=
>> ip
>> Comcast charges $19.95 per month for one static IPv4 address.
>
> High dollar amounts for a single static IPv4 address are nothing new,
> and are IMHO a side effect of monopoly/duopoly last mile providers being
> able to shake down end users because the end user's financially viable
> options are typically just "pay up or don't get a static.”

Yep… That’s why my Comcast service has dynamic IP addresses and I only
use them for effective Layer 2 services (GRE tunnels to the real routers that
actually route my traffic).

This had the rather nice side effect of confusing the heck out of their DPI
flow controllers back in the day when they were trying to rate-shape customers
in obnoxious and service-specific ways.

Since it looked like all my traffic was part of one session and it wasn’t TCP or
UDP, they didn’t know how to shape it.

> The question really at hand: what happens when you need to host a new
> pile of servers, need/can-justify a /24, and your hosting provider
> quotes you $2560/month just for the IP space (at $10/IP)?

You probably laugh and go to some other provider or BYOA from a broker.

> That'd be an incentive to look seriously at IPv6.... I *think*.

I hope so, but most likely people will continue to do the lazy thing as long as they
can get away with it.

> Switching hosting providers will probably become a popular game for
> the early depletion era, as providers attempt to rob each other of
> customers.  That's probably a losing game in the long run.

Let’s hope (that it’s a losing game).

Owen