4 byte ASNs through OpenBGPd to old Cisco IOS

Mike Hammett nanog at ics-il.net
Wed Sep 23 20:37:31 UTC 2015

Our IX's route servers run OpenBGPd 5.5. We are having a problem with a new customer getting turned up. He's getting back invalid or corrupt AS Path errors. There's a network on the IX that has a four byte ASN. They're running IOS 12.4.(15)T and is asking me if we support RFC 4893 which appears to be the 32 bit ASN specification altogether. They specifically highlighted this section:

Two new attributes, AS4_PATH and AS4_AGGREGATOR, are introduced that can be used to propagate four-octet based AS path information across BGP speakers that do not support the four-octet AS numbers.

Do any of you have any useful input other than they need to upgrade their IOS to something newer than 4.5 years old?

-----
Mike Hammett
Intelligent Computing Solutions
http://www.ics-il.com