correlation between ingress and egress traffic in case of volume-based DDoS

alvin nanog nanogml at Mail.DDoS-Mitigator.net
Wed Sep 23 20:29:28 UTC 2015

hi martin

On 09/23/15 at 07:07pm, Martin T wrote:
> volume-based DDoS attacks should often result with following bandwidth graphs:
>
> http://s12.postimg.org/gy3eps10t/volume_based_DDo_S_graph.png
>

> This is a fabricated bps graph for 100GigE port facing an uplink

when you say "fabricated" ... what do you mean ??
- if its actual ( real ) .. than okay for the reasoning
- if its "fabricated" ( sanitized, made up, theory ), than still okay for reasoning

as roland says, there's dozens of reasons to explain the results
one sees in graphs .... graphs are always subject to different
interpretation depending on different circumstances

> provider. As seen on the image, outgoing traffic drops at the time
> when incoming traffic increases. I could see following reasons for
> this:
>
> 1) large portion of traffic uses TCP protocol and in case of

in my case, the way i would simulate a tcp-based DDoS attack against
a test victim, outgoing traffic should remain steady state per
the normal tcp traffic ... and tarpit the ddos attacks from
the victim under the volumetric tcp-based attacks
	setup the ingress filters for tarpits

	the attacking zombie should run out of kernel memory and
	crash if it tries to sustain huge amt of volumetric tcp-based
	ddos attacks

	without tarpits, all kinds of whacky network stuff will occur
	depending on how the tcp-based ddos attacks are lauached

if its an icmp-based ddos attack, the outgoing traffic may be
10x or 100x more traffic than incoming icmp-based ddos attack
if the server was not hardened to protect itself from icmp-based attacks
	if it was hardened, limit outgoing reply to incoming
	icmp-attacks, than it outgoing reply should be constant
	due to normal remaining traffic, but incoming icmp attacks
	can be 10x or 100x or 1000x normal

similarly, if its an udp-based ddos attack, the outgoing traffic
may be 10x or 100x more than the incoming traffic if dns,ntp,snmp,
x11,nfs,etc was not hardened to protect itself from udp-based attacks
	if it was hardened, limit outgoing reply to incoming
	udp-attacks, than it outgoing reply should be constant
	due to normal remaining traffic, but incoming udp attacks
	can be 10x or 100x or 1000x normal

if its an arp-based ddos attack, outgoing traffic may generate
the same amt of traffic going out as whats coming in .. hopefully,
you have bought good switches that don't fail-over into hub-mode

launching those volumetric attacks takes a few minutes to figure
out what options to use to create certain type of ddos attacks
- nc, socat, iperf, etc
- ping, nping, hping, etc
- hundreds of other apps

> congestion(even in one direction), ACK messages are lost and TCP
> congestion avoidance kicks in and as a result it will reduce the cwnd
> which in effect reduce the data TCP sender can send

syn-cookies doesnt kick in until all tcp stack is exhausted
and syn-cookies tries to service all incoming tcp requests

probably a bad thing to attempt to do while under tcp-based ddos attacks

fiddling with send and receive buffers and delays and timeout would add
more fun to the problem and resulting bandwidth graphs

> 2) certain router platforms share some hardware resources both with Tx
> and Rx traffic
>
> Are those assumptions correct? Are there any other reasons which cause
> outgoing traffic to drop if incoming traffic is very high or the other
> way around?

in the subject, you used "ingress and egress" filters ...
those rules would also definitively affect the resulting bandwidth graphs

if you're in the cloud ... all these thingies still apply to the
guest OS and especially the host OS

magic pixie dust
alvin
#