Ear protection

Bryan Holloway bholloway at pavlovmedia.com
Wed Sep 23 13:48:06 UTC 2015

On 9/23/15, 7:53 AM, "NANOG on behalf of Joe Greco"
<nanog-bounces at nanog.org on behalf of jgreco at ns.sol.net> wrote:

>> Maybe I've always listened to my music to loud and spend the bulk of
>>time
>> via ssh, but I've never felt a need for hearing protection in a DC, is
>>this
>> generally an issue for people?
>
>Depends on how long and how noisy.
>
>As I've gotten older, I find loud noise in general is less tolerable,
>so I've taken to always keeping a pair of earplugs with me.  It makes
>being around loud music, etc., much more enjoyable.
>
>Long term exposure to noise is widely considered to be a hazard, but
>walking into an average data center for an hour once a month is
>probably not that risky.
>
>... JG

Depends on the type of "noise" too.

Datacenters generate (more or less) white noise, which is particularly
harmful long-term to the cilia in your ears because it excites all of them
all of the time. A loud datacenter is much worse than a loud rock band,
IMO.

I personally use Bose noise-canceling headphones.