DDoS auto-mitigation best practices (for eyeball networks)

Chase Christian madsushi at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 17:59:06 UTC 2015

Most video games utilize peer-to-peer traffic (which is why many require
port forwarding/UPnP), so the attacker has the IP addresses of all of their
peers in their firewall logs. There are even 'gaming routers' that
specialize in gaming this peer-to-peer system for competitive advantages,
such as specifically blocking the IPs of players you don't want to play
against:

https://netduma.com/why/for-gamers/

Once an attacker has identified his target, getting the IP is as simple as
joining/being in an online game with that player.