Transit Options in the UK?

James Bensley jwbensley at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 08:29:17 UTC 2015

On 17 September 2015 at 21:49, Gary T. Giesen <ggiesen+nanog at giesen.me> wrote:
> I have a customer who's trying to decide whether to renew their existing
> transit contract or not for a POP they have in the UK and wondering what's
> good for transit options out there.
>
> Looking for:
>
> - Good peering/reachability to other networks (I've already started perusing
> the LINX peer list)
> - Decent BGP community set (at a minimum RTBH and local pref, obviously the
> richer the better)
> - v6 support
> - Own the last mile a bonus
>
> Can anyone offer any recommendations?
>
> Cheers,
>
> GTG

Hi Gary,

Are you after full transit or UK/Europe only?

For full transit all the big carriers are in most of the major UK PoPs
(it would be handy if you mentioned the PoP name!). Just look on each
carriers website and check their PoP list. Most major teir 1s meet
your requirements, tier 2's I've seen that meet youre requirements
with present in the UK are Hibernia, IIX/IXReach/Allegro, Init7 etc.

If you want a UK or European view only, I know networks like Enta
which are well peered offer their European partial transit view for
less than the cost of a full table feed. I'm sure there are others
too.

+1 for Chris's advice, reach out on UKNOF.

Cheers,
James.