Synful Knock questions...

Jake Mertel jake.mertel at ubiquityhosting.com
Tue Sep 15 18:54:30 UTC 2015

Indeed -- While there are methods that can be used to "pack" a file so that
it collides with a desirable checksum, that would be nearly impossible to
do in this scenario. I suspect that you're right in all regards -- that
taking the image file and checking it on another host would show obvious
indications of change, that local verification would be impossible since
the malware could presumably change the verification output, and that the
primary motivation for keeping the file size the same was to prevent simple
differential checks like those done by rancid from picking up the change.

--
Regards,

Jake Mertel
Ubiquity Hosting

*Web: *https://www.ubiquityhosting.com
*Phone (direct): *1-480-478-1510
*Mail:* 5350 East High Street, Suite 300, Phoenix, AZ 85054