BGAN Optimized Laptops

Mark Foster blakjak at blakjak.net
Fri Sep 11 02:18:33 UTC 2015

On 11/09/2015 1:49 p.m., Roland Dobbins wrote:

> On 11 Sep 2015, at 8:14, Scott Weeks wrote:
>
>> For example, send me everything but the flash and images.
>
> This is a preference setting on most Web browsers.  Lynx works well
> for this, too, on *NIX systems, if the users can use a terminal.
>
> Equivalent for email clients - headers-only, only download message on
> demand, only download attachments on demand, etc.

My first thought on seeing the post was the work I used to do for
satellite-linked networks around TCP config optimisation.
This was on XP clients so i've no idea how aplicable it is to more
modern desktops, but the simple way was to make use of tools such as TCP
Optimizer[1].

Also had a lot of success with WAFS type devices such as the Riverbed
Steelhead and their ilk, which goes a bit beyond OP's scope, in terms of
making low-bandwidth high-latency links more optimal.

Cheers
Mark.

[1] http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php and
http://www.speedguide.net/articles.php?category=99 which I note talks
about Windows 7,8,10 and 2012 server, so this must still be a 'thing'.