BGAN Optimized Laptops

Scott Weeks surfer at mauigateway.com
Fri Sep 11 01:14:13 UTC 2015

--- rdobbins at arbor.net wrote:
From: "Roland Dobbins" <rdobbins at arbor.net>
On 11 Sep 2015, at 2:38, Scott Weeks wrote:

> Anyone use or know how these work with the satellite networks?

All the features this supposedly has which makes it optimized for
constrained-bandwidth environments, one can accomplish with any *NIX,
including OSX (LittleSnitch provides a nice GUI for it).
---------------------------------------

I was wondering if there was something like Opera Mobile's
"optimizer server" in the satellite operator's network:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opera_Mobile

"...it can use Opera Turbo that compresses web pages via
Opera Software's "Turbo" servers, thus reducing download
size..."

But, I am finding out that apparently there's not.

I looked at LittleSnitch and see it seems a little different.
The folks I'm talking to are on far-flung atolls where BW is
so expensive it's shocking.  So, I was wondering how the
laptop company stops flash and images from transiting the
satellite link.

Someone told me that there is a way for the browser to say
to the web server, send me only the parts of the web page I
request.  For example, send me everything but the flash and
images.  Being a browser wuss I thought the web server just
sent everything and the browser decided whether to display
it or not.  That would mean the data already was transferred
over the expensive sat link incurring the data costs.

scott