WiFI on utility poles

Mike Hammett nanog at ics-il.net
Thu Sep 10 17:15:29 UTC 2015

The tower-deployed AP can see the cable wireless APs for miles and can see a few dozen of them at any one time. Given the goal of full modulation at all times for optimal use of spectrum and dollars, the ever increasing noise from the cable APs makes this a challenge. You need 25 to 30 dB to maintain full modulation and that's increasingly difficult when you hear cable APs everywhere at -70.

The APs can't have narrow radiation patterns given that they need to cover a roughly 90* area of where the customers are. An 18 to 20 dB gain sector antenna will pick up those cable radios from pretty far away.

-----
Mike Hammett
Intelligent Computing Solutions
http://www.ics-il.com