Extraneous "legal" babble--and my reaction to it.

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Wed Sep 9 20:10:54 UTC 2015

On Wed, 9 Sep 2015, Dovid Bender wrote:

> I am trying to understand why the legal babble bothers anyone. Does it
> give you a nervous twitch? Remind you why you hate legal? It's just text
> at the bottom of your email.

I can see both sides of this:
1. People who post to this list from a work email address often have no
control over what their employer appends to the end of their outgoing
emails.  The footers in question are usually added after the fact because
someone in a position of authority at $employer says it needs to be there.

2. A half-page of legalese boilerplate following a one-line message on a
mailing list that goes out to many thousands of people can be a bit
irritating.

The compromise would seem to be to use a third-party email account for
subscribing to mailing lists, but there could be environments where that
doesn't fly with those same people in positions of authority...

jms