IPv6 Subscriber Access Deployments

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Sep 9 17:19:49 UTC 2015

Because the designers of IPv6 didn’t want to bake the hardware constraints of equipment available
10+ years ago (20?) into the addressing plan for the future.

Hanging 4k customers off a switch is a current hardware limitation which has almost nothing to do with
IPv6 other than not being possible in IPv4 due to limitations in IPv4 whereas IPv6 does not impose
such limitations in the L3 protocol.

Think of it like consecutive apertures… If you are looking through a pinhole, you can’t see that your
entire view is through the center hole of a washer 1/2” behind the pinhole. (IPv4 is the pinhole in this
case, modern hardware is the washer).

If you open up the pinhole, suddenly the washer becomes visible.

IPv6 is everything beyond the washer visible and obscured.

Owen