NetFlow - path from Routers to Collector

Frank Bulk frnkblk at iname.com
Sat Sep 5 18:00:31 UTC 2015

How many IPv6 addresses do you get?

Frank

-----Original Message-----
From: NANOG [mailto:nanog-bounces at nanog.org] On Behalf Of Avi Freedman
Sent: Tuesday, September 01, 2015 7:31 PM
To: Jared Mauch <jared at puck.nether.net>
Cc: NANOG <nanog at nanog.org>
Subject: Re: NetFlow - path from Routers to Collector

(Jared wrote):

<snip>

> Most people I've seen have little data or insight into their
> networks, or don't have the level that they would desire as
> tools are expensive or impossible to justify due to capital costs.
> Tossing in a recurring opex cost of DC XC fee  + transport + XC fee +
> redundant aggregation often doesn't have the ROI you infer here.
> I've put together some models in this area.  It seems to me the
> DC/real estate companies involved could make a lot (more) money by
> offering an OOB service that is 10Mb/s flat-rate for the same as an XC
> fee and compete with their customers.

Equinix does have a very aggressively priced 10Mb/s flat-rate OOB (single
IP only but that's not that hard to work around) for essentially XC
pricing.  It's been stable but not something you'd rely on for 100%
packet delivery to some other point on the Internet (so more for
reaching a per-pop OOB than for making a coherent OOB network with
a bunch of monitoring running 24x7).

Still, it's a good value for what it is.

<snip>

> - Jared

Avi Freedman
CEO, Kentik