buffer bloat and packet pacing

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Thu Sep 3 12:19:47 UTC 2015

On 3 September 2015 at 15:04, Nick Hilliard <nick at foobar.org> wrote:

> optimally, but tcp slow start will generally stop this from happening on
> well behaved sending-side stacks so you send up ramping up quickly to path
> rate rather than egress line rate from the sender side.

This assumes network is congested and unable to reach its potential
rate. If it can reach its potential rate, eventually the window will
scale to 375MB and the pathological flooding will occur.
Mostly network is congested, and the pathological case cannot happen,
as the egress cannot ingest the floods, not allowing window to grow to
needed size, which also means the potential rate will not be reached,
and rate will be something less than 10Gbps. Essentially we threw the
baby out with the bath water, kind of like protecting from DoS by
killing the victim.

--
  ++ytti