NetFlow - path from Routers to Collector

Roland Dobbins rdobbins at arbor.net
Wed Sep 2 09:43:58 UTC 2015

On 2 Sep 2015, at 13:25, Pierfrancesco Caci wrote:

> 2 out of 2 large backbone networks I've experience with use inband for
> flow export.

There was supposed to be a 'should' in there, apologies.

I've already clarified that VLAN/VRF is Good Enough for flow telemetry,
and that most who separate it out from customer traffic do so logically.

There are a few very large networks who do this completely physically
out-of-band; they made the decision that they were going to invest in
the ability to ship telemetry around and analyze it, and spent a lot of
capex and opex to be able to do just that.