NetFlow - path from Routers to Collector

Roland Dobbins rdobbins at arbor.net
Tue Sep 1 22:51:41 UTC 2015

On 2 Sep 2015, at 5:38, Jared Mauch wrote:

> Please stop digging,

Since I'm not digging, I've no reason to stop.  I see and deal with the
various quirks of more different platforms exporting flow telemetry than
most folks, all day, every day, so I know just a little bit about this
topic.

> Sounds like you haven’t used Cisco recently.

I use Cisco all the time, thanks.  They aren't perfect - no vendor is.
They have various issues with their NetFlow implementations on various
platforms - for example, bursts of wildly inaccurate flow statistics
from CRS boxes when a linecard is rebooted, a problem which has
persisted for years and is just now being addressed. Odd stuff with
EARL8 on Sup2T/DFC4 in certain configurations, and so forth.

But Niels is grossly exaggerating. I get very usable flow telemetry from
them in many, many networks.  I deal with  flow telemetry from many,
many vendors/platforms, and I can confidently assert that Cisco are
nowhere near the bottom of the heap when it comes to the verisimilitude
and functionality of their flow telemetry export.  Quite the opposite