IGP choice

Randy randy_94108 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 22 23:14:48 UTC 2015

OK I will bite -

Yes, RIP everything and let'em all Rest-In-Peace.

My 0.02cents about OP's question-

"Scale" and Admin-headaches:

IS-IS scales far better than OSPF. Admin-headaches - as your OSPF domain grows, do you want to continually re-design; create more areas? You definitely don't want 50k prefixes in your OSPF domain; in area 0 - try it and see how it works.

Security& ease-of-deployment:

IS-IS is inherently a l2 protocol used over IP and is IP-Version independant and I dare say, more secure at the protocol-level compared to any other flavor of IGP.

As to why you see more OSPF than IS-IS(except of a few large one's States-side) is more of a history-lession.

./Randy