Static IPs

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Mon Oct 19 16:13:31 UTC 2015

On Mon, Oct 19, 2015 at 11:01 AM, Joel Maslak <jmaslak at antelope.net> wrote:
> "If your business is online, then you should have an IP address."
>
> I do find that helps.

This reminds me of the marketing strategy back when I worked for a
dialup ISP. We originally sold a 240 hour dynamic dialup account and a
24/7 dialup account. Once we got a couple of good salesman, they
pointed out a problem to us: all our competitors claimed they were
selling "unlimited" dialup. Our 240 hour plan wasn't competitive with
"unlimited" dialup even though few users consumed more than 100 hours.

The owner agreed that the basic dialup was not unlimited. He also
agreed that we had to be competitive with other ISP's unlimited dialup
plans. But, rarely among owners, he agreed that it would not be honest
to call a capped dialup plan unlimited.

The solution: "unlimited attended dialup." How would we have any idea
whether the customer was sitting in front of his computer? In general,
we wouldn't. But if he was online 72 hours straight, we had a pretty
solid assumption that he wasn't there the whole time.

The salesmen had their word "unlimited" without lying or abandoning
the usage cap.

-Bill

William Herrin ................ herrin at dirtside.com  bill at herrin.us