Dial Up Solutions

Aaron Hopkins lists at die.net
Sun Oct 18 22:38:54 UTC 2015

On Sun, 18 Oct 2015, Clayton Zekelman wrote:

> I didn't think Asterisk had modem DSP and RAS code?!  Huh?

I was surprised to find IAXmodem (http://iaxmodem.sourceforge.net/), which
is "a software modem written in C that uses an IAX channel (commonly
provided by an Asterisk PBX system) instead of a traditional phone line and
uses a DSP library instead of DSP hardware chipsets."

It appears to be limited to 14.4k due to patent issues and handles faxes
only, but its existence suggests writing a software-only data modem should
be possible.

                                     -- Aaron