Android and DHCPv6 again

Sander Steffann sander at steffann.nl
Thu Oct 15 15:52:25 UTC 2015

Hi,

> SLAAC by default provides the address and default gateway (RA)
> If SLAAC managed flag is set, then DHCPv6  is used get the address and other configs (DNS, etc..)
> If SLAAC other flag is set, then SLAAC  provides the address, and uses DHCPv6 to get the other configs (DNS, etc..)

It's even more flexible than that :)

The Managed flag indicates if there is a DHCPv6 server that can provide addresses and other config
The Other Config flag indicates if there is a DHCPv6 server that can provide other config

Besides those flags each prefix that is advertised in the RA has an Autonomous flag which tells the clients if they are allowed to do SLAAC.

So you can do all kinds of nice setups. For example you can advertise both the Managed and the Autonomous flags so that devices can get a DHCPv6-managed address (maybe for running services or for remote management) and get SLAAC addresses (for example for privacy extensions so they cannot be identified by their address when connecting to the internet). Or you can advertise multiple prefixes and allow Autonomous configuration in one and provide addresses in the other with DHCPv6.

I admit that you can also make things extremely complex for yourself, but it's certainly flexible! ;)

Cheers,
Sander