Android and DHCPv6 again

Matthew Huff mhuff at ox.com
Thu Oct 15 15:38:59 UTC 2015

Yes,

SLAAC by default provides the address and default gateway (RA)
If SLAAC managed flag is set, then DHCPv6  is used get the address and other configs (DNS, etc..)
If SLAAC other flag is set, then SLAAC  provides the address, and uses DHCPv6 to get the other configs (DNS, etc..)

With SLAAC and without DHCPv6 the device has no way of knowing the DNS server and other configs such as search domain, etc...

RFC 6106 provides a new feature that allows devices to obtain DNS from RA, but not all devices and network equipment support it yet.

For devices that don't support RFC 6106  or DHCPv6, then it has to use IPv4 (DHCPv4) to get the IPv4 DNS address.