GPON Optical Levels

Jameson, Daniel Daniel.Jameson at tdstelecom.com
Mon Oct 12 16:25:38 UTC 2015

A good general rule of thumb for optics is +-4.  Try to stay 4 db off the bottom,  and 4db off the top.   The sweet-spot RSL is  between 1/2 and 2/3 of the optical budget.  For PON,  typical OLT/ONT optics run Receive Max of -8,  and Min of -27 with an optical de-assert at -31.  The sweet-spot is between -17 and -20,  with a min/max of -12 to -23.

A typical PON system will have a TX power between +3 and +5,  with a 32 way split, add 15dB of insertion loss.  You should see -12 on the output of the first splitter (less the optical loss of the fiber between the OLT and the Splitter est .3/km)

There should never be a need to attenuate a PON port unless you're working directly on the OLT (You should work through a splitter even directly in the CO/HE)