/27 the new /24

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Oct 9 02:58:59 UTC 2015

> On Oct 8, 2015, at 3:45 PM, Mike <mike-nanog at tiedyenetworks.com> wrote:
>

> On 10/08/2015 02:41 PM, Mark Andrews wrote:
>>

>> Plus one to that. We are such a provider, and IPv6 is on my list of
>> things to implement, but the barriers are still plenty high. Firstly, I
>> do have an Ipv6 assignmnt and bgp (v4) and an asn, but until I can get
>> IPv6 transit,
>>
>> There are lots of transit providers that provide IPv6.  It really is
>> time to name and shame transit providers that don't provide IPv6.
>
> NO, THERE IS NOT. We operate in rural and underserved areas and WE DO NOT HAVE realistic choices. Can you see me from your ivory tower?

Um…

There ARE LOTS of transit providers that provide IPv6. It may be true that none of them serve your locality or overlap locations where you have presence, but that does not mean that they do not exist.

>>> there is not much point in my putting a lot of effort into
>>> enabling IPv6 for my subscribers. Yes I have a HE tunnel and yes it's
>>> working, but it's not the same as running native v6 and with my own
>>> address space. Second, on the group of servers that have v6 thru the HE
>>> tunnel, I still run into problems all the time where some operations
>>> over v6 simply fail inexplictly, requireing me to turn off v6 on that
>>> host so whatever it is I'm doing can proceed over v4.
>>> Stuff like OS updates for example.
>> Then complain to the OS vendor.  It is most probably someone breaking
>> PMTU discover by filtering PTB.  Going native will hide these
>> problems until the MTU between the DC and the rest of the net
>> increases.  You could also just lower the advertised MTU internally
>> to match the tunnel MTU which would let you simulate better what a
>> native experience would be.
> Not my job. v4 works, v6 does not, end of story.

Hmmm… Let’s see if you can still say that in a few years.

>> I can't remember the last time I saw a site stall due to reaching it over IPv6 it is that long ago.
>
> It happens every day for me, which only amplifies my perception that v6 IS NOT READY FOR PRIME TIME.

Yet you refuse to troubleshoot your issues with it that are not shared by others and blame the protocol for whatever is probably wrong with your own network. Interesting tactic.

Best of luck with that as your network gradually becomes an IPv4 island no longer connected to the majority of the internet.

Owen