/27 the new /24

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Fri Oct 2 15:24:49 UTC 2015

On Fri, Oct 2, 2015 at 10:32 AM, Justin Wilson - MTIN <lists at mtin.net> wrote:
> However, what do we do about the new networks which
> want to do BGP but only can get small allocations from
> someone (either a RIR or one of their upstreams)?

Hi Justin,

Rent or sell them a /24 and make money. If they can't afford a /24 at
today's market rate, why should the rest of us spend much more money
upgrading routers to accommodate their advertisement?

The annual systemic cost of carrying that prefix is still more than
double the one-time cost of acquiring a /24. No doubt that gap will
close, but there's no cost justification to change the /24 filters
just yet.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

William Herrin ................ herrin at dirtside.com  bill at herrin.us