How to wish you hadn't forced ipv6 adoption (was "How to force rapid ipv6 adoption")

Rob McEwen rob at invaluement.com
Fri Oct 2 04:47:00 UTC 2015

On 10/2/2015 12:18 AM, Mark Andrews wrote:
> A hoster can get /48's for each customer.  Each customer is technically
> a seperate site.  It's this stupid desire to over conserve IPv6
> addresses that causes this not IPv6.

In theory, yes. In practice, I'm skeptical. I think many will
sub-delegate /64s

Plus, nobody has yet addressed the fact that new /48s will be just so
EASY to obtain since they are going to be plentiful... therefore... the
LACK of scarcity will make hosters and ESP... NOT be very motivated to
keep their IP space clean... as is the case now with IPv4.

Also, it seems so bizarre that in order to TRY to solve this, we have to
make sure that MASSIVE numbers of individual IPv6 IP addresses.. that
equal numbers that my calculate can't reach (too many digits)... would
all be allocated to one single combined usage scenario. Then allocating
only /48s multiples that number by 65K. Mind boggling

--
Rob McEwen
+1 478-475-9032