How to force rapid ipv6 adoption

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu Oct 1 23:01:47 UTC 2015

> On Oct 1, 2015, at 15:28 , Mark Andrews <marka at isc.org> wrote:
>

> In message <4F2E19BA-D92A-4BEC-86E2-33B405C307BE at delong.com>, Owen DeLong writes:
>>
>>> On Oct 1, 2015, at 13:55 , Grzegorz Janoszka <Grzegorz at Janoszka.pl>
>> wrote:

>> charging extra
>>>
>>> ISP's will not charge too much. With too expensive IPv4 many customers
>> will migrate from v4/dual stack to v6-only and ISP's will be left with
>> unused IPv4 addresses and less income.
>>
>> Nope… They’ll be left with unused IPv4 addresses which is not a
>> significant source of income and they’ll be able to significantly reduce
>> the costs incurred
>> in supporting things like CGNAT.
>>
>>> Will ISP's still find other profitable usage for v4 addresses? If not,
>> they will be probably be quite slowly rising IPv4 pricing, not wanting to
>> overprice it.
>>
>> Probably they will sell it to business customers instead of the
>> residential customers. However, we’re talking about relatively large
>> numbers of customers
>> for relatively small numbers of IPv4 addresses that aren’t producing
>> revenue directly at this time anyway.
>>
>>> Even with $1/IPv4/month - what will be the ROI of a brand new home
>> router?
>>
>> About 2.5 years at that price since a brand new home router is about $29.
>>
>> Owen
>
> The hard part is the internet connected TV's and other stuff which
> fetches content over the internet which are IPv4 only despite being
> released when IPv6 existed.  These are theoretically upgradable to
> support IPv6 so long as the manufactures release a IPv6 capable
> image.  The real question is will governments force them to do this.

Governments are unlikely to force this issue.

However, what I think will happen (and I wish I had the hardware skills
to build the device) is that someone will come up with a compact, cheap
(think price of Raspberry PI) device with two 100Mbps ethernet ports.
One will be an RJ45 plug and the other will be a socket.

The socket will support POE for powering the device.

The device will have a small linux kernel and provide DNS64/DHCP4/NAT64 services
to the RJ45 plug and the jack will connect to the IPv6-only port in the house.

The software is already completely available as open source. There’s a tiny
bit of integration to do.

If you do this for IPv6-capable services on the outside and don’t need to connect to IPv4
laggards, this is a relatively simple solution. If you need to preserve IPv4 connectivity to
the outside world, it gets a little more complicated, but not a lot.

> Upgrading the router is a no brainer.  Upgrading the TV, games
> consoles, e-readers, etc. starts to add up.

I’m betting that if someone offered the device I suggested above for a price point around
$40 (add a small amount of money for a cheap POE injector if needed), it would do the
trick.

Owen