Question re session hijacking in dual stack environments w/MacOS

Dovid Bender dovid at telecurve.com
Thu Oct 1 10:34:57 UTC 2015

Have a look at JuiceSSH.

------Original Message------
From: Mark Tinka
Sender: NANOG
To: David Hubbard
To: nanog at nanog.org
Subject: Re: Question re session hijacking in dual stack environments w/MacOS
Sent: Sep 29, 2015 03:23

On 26/Sep/15 16:34, David Hubbard wrote:

> Has anyone run into this?  Our users on other platforms don't seem to
> have this issue; linux and MS desktops seem to just use v6 if it's
> available and v4 if not.

I have been tracking down an issue for months where SSH'ing to some
devices (which picks IPv6 by default) from my Mac while in the office
drops the connection, forcing me to reconnect. It's random; sometimes it
happens a lot, sometimes, rarely, other times not at all.

I've sort of suspected OS X to be the issue (10.10.5) here. The
workaround has been to SSH strictly on IPv4 which is always stable. So
it seems to be an issue when the session is carried over IPv6.

This only affects OS X. SSH'ing from FreeBSD, for example, on IPv6 is
stable. To be honest, I've been a little busy to look deeper into this,
but it definitely has something to do with what you describe, I imagine.

Mark.

Regards,

Dovid