Bluehost.com

Matthew Petach mpetach at netflight.com
Sun Nov 29 21:13:09 UTC 2015

On Sat, Nov 28, 2015 at 8:13 AM, Bob Evans <bob at fiberinternetcenter.com> wrote:
> I think he means to say the rich get richer on the other side of the
> investment by playing the shorting and the buying of stock in the gambling
> marketplace. As the stock itself can create a new currency.... so they
> make more money playing with that than the actually investment. They are
> on the inside hence the saying the rich get richer.
> Thank You
> Bob Evans
> CTO

Ah!

So there's two types of value being discussed;
network value, vs dollar value.  While dollar
value is being made, and the rich are getting
richer, the value of the network resources
may indeed be destroyed.

Unfortunately, it's very hard to steer behaviour
when the incentives are not aligned with the
desired outcome, and in these cases, the
incentive (get richer) is often at odds with
what the technical community might desire.
As much as we might wish it to be otherwise,
the primary job of public companies is to make
money, not create network value--at least, as
long as the majority of your voting shares are
held by investors rather than technologists.
I look at companies like Google, Alibaba, and
Facebook as interesting anomalies because
they've structured their corporate ownership
in a way that doesn't cede control over to the
institutional investors the way the vast majority
of public companies have.  It remains to be seen
if that separation allows them to prioritize creating
network value above making money.   (I suspect
Google sidestepped the question when picking their
motto--"Don't be evil" doesn't define the nature of
evil; for investors, not doing everything possible to
make a profit might be seen as 'evil'. )

Thanks!

Matt

>> On Wed, Nov 25, 2015 at 5:54 PM, Kiriki Delany <kiriki at streamguys.com>
>> wrote:
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> Bottom line, is the industry needs to be increasing value, because the
>>> flip
>>> side.... working for no profit, surviving off investment only... there's
>>> no
>>> end-game. You see this cycle time and time again as market share is