Binge On! - And So This is Net Neutrality?

Tony Hain alh-ietf at tndh.net
Thu Nov 26 20:44:28 UTC 2015

Keenan Tims wrote:
> To: nanog at nanog.org
> Subject: Re: Binge On! - And So This is Net Neutrality?
>
> I'm surprised you're supporting T-Mob here Owen. To me it's pretty
> clear: they are charging more for bits that are not streaming video.
> That's not neutral treatment from a policy perspective, and has no basis in
> the cost of operating the network.

I have no visibility into what the line
"T‐Mobile will work with content providers to ensure that our networks work together to properly"
actually means, but they could/should be using this as a tool to drive content sources to IPv6.

Trying to explain to consumers why an unlimited data plan only works for a tiny subset of content is a waste of energy. Picking a category and "encouraging" that content to move, then after the time limit, pick the next category, rinse/repeat, is a way to move traffic away from the 6/4 nat infrastructure without having to make a big deal about the IP version to the consumer, and at the same time remove "it costs too much" complaints from the sources. If I were implementing such a plan, I would walk the list of traffic sources based on volume to move traffic as quickly as possible, so it makes perfect sense to me that they would start with video.

Tony