Bluehost.com

Bob Evans bob at FiberInternetCenter.com
Thu Nov 26 01:19:54 UTC 2015

For an ISP type service - it's almost impossible the make it up in volume
- all you need is one phone call to cost you $10 in support on a $3.50
service. With that many customers you can imagine how many call to just
ask what happened or vent after the event is over.

I founded a cable modem business prior to docsis standard. Call center
with 150 people in it. People would call for help with their printer just
because we answered the phone. So support for a $3.49 web service must
make compromises somewhere in an attempt to reach profitability.

I know of 3 very big ISPs - all barely making money for years. Providing
crummy service , priced cheaply and expecting to make it up in volume.
Their solution was to merge and lose money together. Still providing a
lowball price for service , they then took the profitable parts of the
business and sold those to others so they can re-org and improve cash
momentarily. The re-org produced the same low prices and crummy service.
So it's a cycle some people play just to win money from hedge funds,
investors and finally the public. What do they call it when one keeps
doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result ?

Low priced services are difficult to make profitable - if you drove your
car the way most low priced business services operate you would have a car
that top speeds at the minimal freeway speed, wouldnt carry a a spare
tire, drive around until the empty light turns on and carry as little
insurance as possible. - Gee, come to think of it, I've been in an airport
shuttle van like that in new york.

Thank You
Bob Evans
CTO