DHCPv6 PD & Routing Questions

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Tue Nov 24 23:36:47 UTC 2015

In message <42270.1448383626 at turing-police.cc.vt.edu>, Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
writes:
> --==_Exmh_1448383626_2779P
>
> On Tue, 24 Nov 2015 09:39:54 +1100, Mark Andrews said:
> > And a /56 gives you 256 subnets.  When you remove unnecessary
> > heirachical delegation / routing that still supports a reasonable
> > sized home network.
>
> If you have a *workable* solution for the case where you're handed a /56
> and are running a second CeroWRT or OpenWRT to improve coverage at the
> other end of the house that doesn't include hierarchical routing,
> we'd love to hear it.  Note that "workable" includes "Joe Sixpack must
> have a reasonable chance of it working with minimum user configuration".

Give PD is designed to allow you to have multiple delegation requests
from one router to the dhcp server (router) and manage them
independently.  Just request prefixes as you need them.  If the
dhcp server (router) doesn't have any available it just make a up
stream request.  Ultimately this will get to the border router and
be fullfilled there flowing back through all the itermediate servers
and depending upon how they are configured setting up routes.
Alternatively the original requesting route injects a route for the
delegated prefix into the IRP.

This isn't rocket science.  Just use your @#!Q$# brains when you build
CPE routers.

This isn't new.  DHCP servers have got answers from upsteam DHCP
servers for various IPv4 DHCP options (e.g. DNS servers).  PD isn't
conceptually different other than it is done on demand rather than
in advance.

Mark

--
Mark Andrews, ISC