DHCPv6 PD & Routing Questions

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Mon Nov 23 06:24:21 UTC 2015

On Sat, 21 Nov 2015, Jim Burwell wrote:

> The gist I get is that no real SOP/BCP has emerged yet for doing this,
> and everyone is home-brewing their own methods.

Quite a few years back I did the following experiment:

I had a Cisco 7200 router running some kind of not-too-old-code, which had
a /48 routed to it. I then created a DHCPv6 PD pool of /56:es. I had 2
D-Link home gateways (DIR-655 I think) with some beta code I received from
D-Link. I then hooked them up like this:

C7200-DIR1-DIR2-Computer

The C7200 would delegate a /56 to DIR1, who would then subdelegate a /64
out of that one to DIR2 who would assign that to its LAN interface so
Computer could use SLAAC itself an address out of it. This worked fine.

I also tested C7200-WIN7PC-Computer (WIN7PC running Windows7) and turned
on ICS (Internet connection sharing), and WIN7PC would get a /56, allocate
a /64 to its "LAN" interface, and Computer worked just fine. I never tried
hooking up another router behind it. I am not 100% sure it was running
Windows7, it might even have been running Windows Vista.

So I'd say there is equipment out there that works, as expected, but as
seen in this thread, plenty of equipment that doesn't.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se