Project Fi and the Great Firewall

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Fri Nov 20 08:31:48 UTC 2015

On 15/Nov/15 06:02, Yury Shefer wrote:

> My team mate was traveling to China with his Nexus 6 (with Project Fi
> SIM-card) and was able to access Google services. The phone uses roaming
> data to access Google and your phone gets IP assigned by your home mobile
> network packet gateway (P-GW). There is no local data break-out.

Part of the IPX spiel has been about encouraging local break-out to
improve the practical experience of the roamer. However, the excuse this
does not happen is the difficulty that brings to billing, despite all
the talk about Diametre signaling in IPX infrastructure...

You can imagine what my experience is like roaming in Honolulu when I
live in South Africa...

Mark.