Project Fi and the Great Firewall

Jake Mertel jake.mertel at ubiquityhosting.com
Sun Nov 15 02:27:47 UTC 2015

I know the service/device uses VPN if you are using "wifi assist" to
connect to an open WAP -- it automatically tunnels the traffic so it can't
be read by nearby snoopers. Perhaps they employ a similar technology or are
using something like PPP to take all of the traffic back to one (or many)
"access servers" before sending it off to the Internet. I have no
experience whatsoever in cellular network operations, but I know many
providers employ similar methodologies to assist in meeting their CALEA
requirements.

On Saturday, November 14, 2015, Roland Dobbins <rdobbins at arbor.net> wrote:

> On 15 Nov 2015, at 9:00, Sean Hunter wrote:
>
> While in China recently, I noticed that my Project Fi phone was accessing
>> Google.
>>

> Accessing, or attempting to access?
>
> Were you using a local SIM card, or roaming w/data?  What about WiFi?

> Roland Dobbins <rdobbins at arbor.net>

Regards,

Jake Mertel
Ubiquity Hosting

*Web: *https://www.ubiquityhosting.com
*Phone (direct): *1-480-478-1510
*Mail:* 5350 East High Street, Suite 300, Phoenix, AZ 85054