DNSSEC and ISPs faking DNS responses

Royce Williams royce at techsolvency.com
Sat Nov 14 06:38:39 UTC 2015

On Fri, Nov 13, 2015 at 8:28 PM, Roland Dobbins <rdobbins at arbor.net> wrote:

> On 14 Nov 2015, at 11:32, Owen DeLong wrote:
>
> Go out onto the street and ask a random number of people over 30 if they
>> know what a URL is  and how to enter one into a browser.
>>

> They don't know what URIs are, nor do they enter them into browsers.  They
> type words into a search engine and then click on the resulting links.

The don't know what a VPN is ... but when they can't watch the Olympics on
the Internet from their own country, a buddy tells them about an "app" that
"makes you look like you're coming from a different country."  Now they can
watch the Olympics.  I saw this "one weird trick" spread like wildfire
through my non-technical acquaintances.

They don't have to know what a VPN is in order to to use it -- and to pass
it on to their friends.

Royce