Updated Ookla Speedtest Server Requirements

Hank Nussbacher hank at efes.iucc.ac.il
Tue Nov 10 06:15:39 UTC 2015

At 15:27 09/11/2015 -0600, Lorell Hathcock wrote:
>Esteemed Legions of NANOG:
>
>Does anyone have better and more modern recommendations for the hardware of
>an Ookla speedtest server?
>
>Here is the link to their recommendations.
>
>http://www.ookla.com/support/a26461638/

After 5 happy years of using Speedtest, we had to drop them this year for a
2 reasons.

a) they tripled their price

b) their site which used to provide an excellent comparison between ISPs -
at www.netindex.com was discontinued for some stripped down 4 country
comparison site - http://www.speedtest.net/awards when it used have over
120 countries.

The value of Ookla dropped significantly so we just let our license lapse
and did what everyone else was doing and pointed our speedtest to:
http://uk2.testmy.net/SmarTest/combinedAuto
and manage with this free service just fine.

-Hank