Updated Ookla Speedtest Server Requirements

Lorell Hathcock lorell at hathcock.org
Mon Nov 9 21:27:20 UTC 2015

Esteemed Legions of NANOG:

Does anyone have better and more modern recommendations for the hardware of
an Ookla speedtest server?

Here is the link to their recommendations.

http://www.ookla.com/support/a26461638/

I want a server that is capable of handlilng a speedtest up to 10Gbps.  I
plan to do this with an SFP+ port when my network comes along.  (As soon as
MikroTik comes out with a decent 10G CCR router that is compatible with more
SFPs.)

In the mean time I will just test 1 Gbps speeds off a copper GE port, but
want the SFP+ capability so I don't have to repurchase hardware in the next
year.

Thanks!

Sincerely,

Lorell Hathcock

Chief Technology Officer

SolStar Network, LLC

Communications

FIBER - VOIP - SECURITY - TV

FTTH - Commercial - Residential

Burglar - Access Control

956-478-5955 (cell) - 956-316-4090 (main)

 <mailto:lorell at SolStarNetwork.com> lorell at SolStarNetwork.com

 <http://www.solstarnetwork.com/> www.SolStarNetwork.com

TX License #B19998