AWS Elastic IP architecture

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Sat May 30 01:27:48 UTC 2015

> On May 29, 2015, at 8:27 AM, Christopher Morrow <morrowc.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 4:22 AM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
>> Why do you assume some encap/decap process somewhere in this process?
>
> why do you think they have a single 10/8 deployment per location and
> not per customer? if it' sper customer, they have to provide some
> encap (I'd think) to avoid lots and lots of headaches. I don't imagine
> that if aws/ec2 is 'millions of customers' running on 'cheapest
> ethernet reference platform possible' they can do much fancy stuff
> with respect to virtual networking. I'd expect almost all of that to
> have to happen at the vm-host (not the guest), and that there's just
> some very simple encapsulation of traffic from the 'edge' to the
> vm-host and then 'native' (for some sense of that word) up to the
> 'vm'.

Because that’s what one of their engineers told me at one point in the past.

Admittedly, it may have changed.

My understanding was along the lines of a very large flat L2 space among the VM Hosts with minimal routing on the hosts and a whole lot of /32 routes.

Again, my information may be incomplete, obsolete, or incorrect. Memories of bar conversations get fuzzy after 12+ months.

Owen