gmail security is a joke

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Tue May 26 15:22:46 UTC 2015

On (2015-05-26 16:26 +0200), Markus wrote:

Hey,

> Did you know that anyone, anywhere in the world can get into a gmail account
> merely by knowing its creation date (month and year is sufficient) and the

Without any comment on what gmail is or is not doing, the topic interests me.

How should recovery be done in scalable manner? Almost invariably when the
accounts were initially created there is no strong authentication used, how
would, even in theory, it be possible to reauthenticate strongly after
password was lost?

One solution is, that you can opt-out from any password recovery process,
which also would mean opt-in for deletion of dormant accounts (no login for 2
years, candidate for deletion?). I personally would opt-in for this in every
service I have.
I recall gandi allows you to disable password recovery.

Perhaps some people would trust, if they could opt-in for reauthentication via
some legal entity procuring such services. Then during account creation, you'd
need to go through same authentication phase, perhaps tied to nationalID or
comparable. This might be reasonable, most people probably already trust one
of these for much more important authentication than email, but supporting all
of them globally seems like very expensive proposal.

--
  ++ytti