Peering and Network Cost

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Fri May 22 03:03:07 UTC 2015

On 21/May/15 18:59, Dave Taht wrote:

> Two things I am curious about are 1) What is the measured benefit of
> moving a netflix server into your local ISP network
>
> and 2) does anyone measure "cross town latency". If we lived in a
> world where skype/voip/etc transited the local town only,
> what sort of latencies would be see within an ISP and within a
> cross-connect from, say a gfiber to a comcast?

On average, 1ms for every 100km.

We've seen this in practice - consistently - for any fibre deployed
within the same town/city.

Unless someone does something very wrong with the fibre, suffers
terrible hardware issues, deliberately implements debilitating bandwidth
management or does a piss-poor job of network design, it would be
reasonably hard to go above +/- 1ms for traffic that originates and
terminates within the same town, let alone 6 miles of speaking parties.

Mark.